Evolving Visions of the Orthodox Priesthood in America
"Evolving Visions of the Orthodox Priesthood in America" by Alexey D. Krindatch presents results of the first ever national survey of the American Orthodox clergy completed by the Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute in 2006. This unique study provides an insight into the crucial question "What does it mean to be an Orthodox priest in America at the beginning of the third millenium."
Based on the responses of 230 parish priests from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and the Orthodox Church in America, the study examines the following subjects:
* The sources of satisfaction in the work of Orthodox priests in America
* The challenges and problems faced by parish clergy
* The sources of support that Orthodox priests can rely upon
* The issues in Church life that Orthodox priests believe should be openly and urgently discussed
The second part of the book presents Orthodox clergy opinions on the issues of:
* Notion of priesthood and status of priests
* Democracy and openess in the Church
* Changes and innovations in the Orthodox church
* Ecumenical attitudes and relations to the outside, non-Orthodox community.
For more information about the author:Alexey Krindatch